Thursday, April 7, 2011

FLASH: Steve Randy Waldman Engages MMT

Steve Randy Waldman adresses MMT at Interfluidity in MMT stabilization policy — some comments & critiques. This promises to be the mother of all MMT debates thus far, so expect the heavyweights to show up in force. This is a "big deal," so y'all mosey on over there. It's history in the making. Don't miss it.

SRW: "First, I want to make clear that the critiques I’ll offer below are not intended to discredit or dismiss MMT. As I’ve said before, I think MMT offers a coherent and important perspective on fiscal and monetary issues that ought to be understood, on its own terms rather than in dismissive caricature, by anyone serious about macroeconomics. MMT is not 'true', but then no theory is 'true'. We ultimately judge theories by how useful they are, both in making sense of 'the data' we already know and in offering guidance for policy going forward. In my opinion MMT is one of the most useful perspectives in thinking about fiscal and monetary questions.

"However, it is still just a perspective. Enthusiasts sometimes present MMT in a manner that’s too complete and hermetically sealed. While some MMT theorizing is based on 'double entry accounting' or 'obvious, unarguable facts', when MMT adherents offer non-trivial conclusions, they rely upon assumptions about human behavior that are in fact contestable. I continue to place non-zero weight on theories of government insolvency that MMT-ers have persuaded me are, in a sense, incoherent. Life is complicated, and even absurd prophesies can prove self-fulfilling.

"This will be a long post. I’ll discuss each of the seven points I outlined in my summary of MMT stabilization policy. Then I’ll offer some general comments. Before you continue, you should understand the point of view being examined. Please read my previous post first. Or much better yet, read Chapter 1 (Tymoigne and Wray)and Chapter 5 (Tcherneva) of A handbook of alternative monetary economics (ed. Arestis & Sawyer). These essays offer a polished, concise introduction to the MMT perspective. Then spend some time with the 'mandatory' or '101' readings on Warren Mosler and Bill Mitchell’s websites. [links provided in SRW's post]

"The summary points from my previous post are repeated below in bold. New comments then follow. I am critiquing my own distillation of MMT stabilization policy, so there is the danger I have set up straw men. If I have, I apologize and look forward to being set straight in the comments. As usual, almost nothing I say will be original. Many of the points I’ll make have been made better by others, for example, in the comments to the previous post, which are extraordinarily good. At a Kauffman Foundation blogger convention last week, I discussed MMT informally but at some length with David Beckworth, Megan McArdle, Mish, and Mark Thoma. My comments will undoubtedly be informed by those conversations."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JKH first to post and Winterspeak making an appearance. Should be fascinating.

Tom Hickey said...

Excellent post from JKH, as always.

Detroit Dan said...

Good dialog amongst RSJ, Scott Fullwiler, and Tom. RSJ seems to be claiming that government should pay high interest rates on government bonds during boom times, to throttle private banks, and that this could cause government interest payments to pro-cyclically impact inflation. I don't follow it, but RSJ is a smart guy so I like to hear more...

Detroit Dan said...

This is one discussion that is not a waste of time. Two heavyweights (RSJ and Scott Fullwiler) come to a consensus that challenges the conventional MMT wisdom...

Tom Hickey said...

I'm on that thread, Detroit Dan, and I didn't read it that way. MMT'ers on a single page wrt economics. They have always had disagreements over policy options like no bonds and whether the JG should preclude regular employment insurance. What do you see that is not related to policy options?